Friday, May 28, 2010

Spring

Peonies, irises, foxglove, poppies and primrose. All lovely lookers of my spring garden. The lady across my side yard, I wish to call it my meadow, stands in her yard and sips her coffee while gazing on these beauties. I am creating an enclave of magic with each selection planted. I am lucky to have a wonderful, handsome husband to tuck each in for me. As soon as the pollen passes I will be able to spend more time out there. It has been a dreadful spring allergy-wise. We have planted 10 boxwood, a dozen or so hydragena, 3 holly (one prince to pollinate 2 maids), 8 heather, with many lupine, dahlia, pinks, English daisies, Solomon's Seal, Cosmos, Cleome, fragrant Heliotrope, astilbe, hosta, and many others, including an Indigo bush! I replaced the English lavender that disappeared a few years ago and snuck in a French lavender, one with much longer stems. If it survives it will be choice to weave lavender sticks with ribbons as sachets for my closets.
The poppies remind me of a friend I had who lived in Darien. His mother had a huge bed of poppies and when they were in bloom he would invite me for a picnic in the backyard by the poppies. He was a talented actor, singer, composer who died of AIDS early in his life. I continue to be reminded of his at this time of year.
He and I were in community theatre together. One show, The Fantastics, I played the Indian Who Died and he played the male lead, The Boy. A few years later my husband and I had the thrill to sit in the small Sullivan St. Threatre and watch him recreate that same role. He was like the brother I never had. I think of him frequently and still miss him always.



No comments: