Sunday, July 12, 2009

Off My Rocker



Apparently, beside paper shopping bags, I collect rockers. We cleared out an attic space above our garage this weekend and I found I had 3 rockers up there. When I went to the basement to fetch 2 oak pressed-back chairs to put up in the garage attic, I realized I had 2 more rockers down there. This does not, of course, count the rocker I gave to my son in the last year, the one that is in my daughter's bedroom, or the one on the deck. Now I have always known that I have a side-chair problem. Who can say no to a cute side-chair? They are small, you can always fit them into your life/space, and they sure come in handy when holidays, such as T-gives (Thanksgiving) rolls around and you need plenty. Rockers, on the other hand, are not as versatile. They are really bad to sit on while eating, if your goal is not to spill. They are, however, excellent for stimulating the vestibular system. This is the first system to develop and we receive constant stimulation when we are inutero from our mother's movements. It is made up of several structures in the inner ear and helps us tell our orientation in space, how fast we are moving, the direction we are going, helps us keep our balance and other cool things like helping adjust heart rate, blood pressure, and nervous system arousal. And here is the reason that people love rocking chairs, because they help us calm and soothe ourselves. I bet you wish you were sitting in a rocker right now. As soon as I finish this, that is where I will be going.


Early this morning I checked on the tomatoes and there were 3 red ones one day away from picking. My sister popped over mid-morning and when I went to show them to her I discovered a travesty had taken place. One was gone, one had peck marks in it and had fallen on the soil. I plucked the third tomato and brought it inside. In retaliation I put out a plastic owl I had sitting in the garage. I thought this might help. but since the neighbor's cat just showed up on the deck (where was he this morning?) I have a feeling I will just go the the gardener's center tomorrow and get netting. Yes, I am ripped.
Off the needles but not pretty enough for a picture yet is the Airy Scarf, soon to be followed the the Black Widow.
Arriverdeerla

No comments: