Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer Camp

I have picked my first ripe tomato and here she is. I plucked her off the vine a bit prematurely, as I was afraid a bird or squirrel would take a bite before I. I have a ton of tomatoes on the vine, 115, which I understand is unusual. Far more experienced gardeners than I have few this year, perhaps due to the heavy amount of rain we've received. Mine, however, are in pots on my deck. Perhaps they are warmer and the soil dries out faster. I also bought organic tomatoes and soil. Whatever the reason, so far, so good.

Pleasure and action make the hours seem short. That's Shakespeare, not me, but really describes how the days are flying by. On the needles currently is
Airy Scarf from Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. The ARTYARN is beaded mohair and sequins in a violet color and is a fast and fun knit. I have also finished a striped sweater and hat that I will be sending to the Soweto Comfort Club in South Africa . This organization has undertaken a project to assemble blankets out of knitted squares that are sent to them from all over the world. Other items, such as sweaters and hats, are accepted and all the blankets and knitted goods are given to children with AIDS who live in orphanages there. I had never before completed a sweater, no less a striped one, and I saw this as a win/win situation. I could learn these skills and the product could keep a child warm. If you are also interested in helping these children, go to http://www.knit-a-square.com/postal.html for instructions. Enough saintliness, I just ran outside my deck door and screamed "Asshole" at a squirrel who had grabbed a sugar-filled sponge that was part of a hummingbird/butterfly feeder that had been out there for under an hour. See why I am paranoid about the tomatoes?

Another project that I have just completed is the Seaweed Shawl. It is still in the process of being blocked on my dining room table, that is covered with plastic and old beach towels. This shawl came out as I imagined it would. I picture this shawl worn with black and some big Aztec gold earrings that I don't currently own. Could be a problem. My daughter said that she has never seen a pair of Aztec hoops that didn't look cheap. I know exactly what she means, and yet I think I could rock these bad boys.
So far this summer has been a lot like a summer camp I attended as a child, Camp Francis in Kent, CT. The schedule was breakfast, outdoor activities, lunch, nap/reading, crafts, dinner, camp fire. Okay, so there is no campfire - yet. It is a demanding schedule and I don't mind it a bit.


A fabulous and quick dinner I prepared the other night was Flounder in Parchment. Take 2 pieces of parchment 18 inches long and position them on a jellyroll pan side by side. Place founder, 6 chopped asparagus, 1 chopped scallion, 1 clove of minced garlic, a good squeeze of lime juice, salt and pepper to taste, and a bit of butter on each piece of parchment. Fold sides of parchment in and then tuck long sides under. Bake at 350F for 22 minutes. This is a light, healthy summer meal you will feel good about eating. A mixed salad on the side and you are good to go.

A piu tardi

No comments: