Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Facebook

So it is true, I joined Facebook. There has been a lot of discussion of this in the family for some time. My daughter was the instigator (supporter?) of this idea and she assured me that not only she would help me, and she has, but she listed two handfuls of people who would friend me, and they did. Her brother, on the other hand, has been vehemently against it. Not just against me joining Facebook, but on the concept, the entity of Facebook. No one, not even his wife, can figure exactly why he feels this way. My husband has made little snarky noises about how this new facet of my life will just take more time away from him. That's right, let's make this about him. He also warned me that Facebook is forever, so I should monitor whatever I post, i.e. no pictures of me riding Lady Godiva style, etc. Not to worry, I am the soul of decorum and discretion. As for me, embracing this technology has been like a quick trip to the fountain of youth. I feel connected and fully participating in life. This morning I feel vital, although I did have a great night's sleep and perhaps that is more the cause. Regardless, I think jumping into life with both hands and both feet forces one to experience life in a different way. Henry Miller said, "The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." Right on. Who needs to sit and dribble in their cups when there is much fun to be had? And let's reflect on how this new learning is changing my brain. In fact, this is just the remedy for keeping one's brain young, adding new synopses and neurons. So in fact, it is not like, but truly is a trip to the fountain of youth. Facebook. It is what's good for your brain.

No comments: