Sunday, August 30, 2009

Riffraff

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines the term riffraff as a disreputable person. When used as an adjective, it means rubbish or refuse. The Free Dictionary enlarges the definition to include "people regarded as worthless." Ouch! Yes, that word is lodged in my craw and I find it extremely offensive. What pained me was hearing this word flow from the mouth of one of my near and dear who knows better. I was disappointed and upset. Words and the terms that we choose to use are reflective of our mental set and how we perceive others and the world. Hearing that word being used suggested an internal mental shift, and not in a positive direction. When this term is used by those who have not been educated and who do not know better, the use is still offensive, but more understandable. When coming from the lips of one who been educated in places where there has been an emphasis and a high regard placed to develop a sensitivity to avoid such slurs, it is perplexing. Did I make a big deal out of it when it happened? Yes. I think off-the-cuff disparaging remarks should be addressed. Silence is often misinterpreted as agreement. Did the speaker regret the comment after it was objected to? Yes. It still bothers me today because those types of statements are often reflective of a worldview I don't admire. It was an elitist remark unworthy of its speaker. I'll get past this. I just hope I don't hear it again and have to make a purchase.

No comments: