Thursday, August 13, 2009

UNESCO World Heritage Sites

I watch a lot of travel TV. I love to sit in my Queen Anne wingback chair, sip Pellegrino, and be transported hither and yon all over the world. On occasion one hears of what is referred to as a World Heritage site. Recently I watched the movie In Bruges and a few weeks later I discovered that this medieval historic settlement is on "The List" due to its beautiful architecture. My antenna for World Heritage History sites was primed. I then discovered that the banks of the Seine in Paris were "List" as was the Cathedral of Notre Dame Paris, two places I had already been. Mentally I began to form a goal: to visit all the sites that were "List." That was prior to finding out that the List includes 890 properties: 689 cultural, 176 natural, and 25 mixed. Yikes! So I did the math. My projected life expectancy minus my actual age divided into total number of sites equals about a site a week, if I give myself time off for holidays, birthdays, and a couple of years at the end to deteriorate. I would be way too busy. This would become a job. I already have one of those. So I think I have to weed out sites that are not really necessary to visit. I also have to subtract the sites that I have already been to. That doesn't add up to much. Maybe I should just reframe the goal to include a World Heritage site that is in the U.S. that is also local. Taadaa...the Statue of Liberty. No, I know it is shocking, but I have never been. And this year they reopened her crown, so I checked out the availability. As of this evening there are but spotty times and dates in November, so all the good warm autumn days are gone already. Then the holidays are upon us. I think I will stock up on some more Pellegrino and pencil in something in the spring. Thoreau said that, in the long run, we only hit what we aim at. My aim is to hit the Statue of Liberty ( in a good way) in the next 6 months. Photos to follow.

1 comment:

ronnie said...

wow thats a pretty picture. i would love to travel to places like that. http://ronnie-tattoos.blogspot.com or http://rel1989.blogspot.com thanks